Thursday, November 2, 2006
The Group of Ministers which is overseeing the issue has decided not to resume the sealing of unauthorised commercial establishments until Monday. The decision came after seeing the current tense situation in New Delhi.
The Group of Ministers is headed by Home minister Shivraj Patil and comprised of Law minister H R Bhardwaj, Delhi CM Sheila Dikhit, Union Urban Development minister S Jaipal Reddy and his deputy Ajay Makan.
S Jaipal Reddy told reporters that it is very difficult to conduct the sealing drive in the city under these circumstances. He made the statement after a meeting of Group of Ministers.
The Supreme Court had already sent the notice to Municipal Corporation of Delhi to resume the sealing drive from Thursday. They will approach the apex court on Friday and will apprise the court about the difficulties in carrying out the sealing drive in these circumstances where the traders are going on strike and creating situation of tension in the capital.
Supreme Court’s Monitoring committee called on the MCD to resume the sealing of unauthorised shops in the city on Friday.
- 1 History of sealing drive in New Delhi
- 1.1 MCD movement to demolish commercial establishments in residential areas
- 1.2 Traders’ movement against the demolition activities
- 1.3 Notifications from the authorities
- 1.4 MCD’s drive of sealing commercial establishments
- 1.5 Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Bill, 2006
- 2 Related news
- 3 Sources
- 4 References